Friday, October 4, 2013

Dia Beacon

Last Friday, my colleagues and I loaded up in a Zipcar and drove an hour out of Manhattan to Dia Beacon, a museum dedicated to art from the 1960s to the present. Housed in a former Nabisco box printing facility in Beacon, NY, the cavernous space is perfect for exhibiting large scale works by such artists as Joseph Beuys, Louise Bourgeois, Robert Smithson, Lawrence Weiner...the list goes on. 

Another reason I like going to Dia Beacon is that in the four times I've visited, it's always been quiet and nearly empty, a refreshing change from the crowds at most museums in the city. There's always plenty of time for observation, contemplation, and wandering through Richard Serra's "Torqued Eclipses," one of my favorite installations.

These four rolled-steel plates are each two inches thick and weigh twenty tons. 
  I love the simplicity of the shapes, the purity of material, and the elemental nature of these massive structures.
A close up of the steel's patina

Following the curve of the spiral 
A blurry pic of my friend basking in the afternoon light at the center of a Serra Eclipse.

No comments:

Post a Comment