Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thread and Paper

Meet Thread and Paper, a Brooklyn-based brand founded by my friend and colleague. Emily Yurkevicz. Understated downtown style meets old school craftsmanship in her collection of bags, scarves an jewelry, all handmade by Emily herself.

What I personally love is the brand's simplicity and versatility. As someone who travels often, I am always looking for easy pieces that will work in any time of day or in any country. Thread and Paper's classic two-toned tote has been with me all over the world and is still kicking.


This week, in honor of the upcoming holiday season, Emily offers 25% off her wares. Click here to browse, and read on for a brief interview and some fun process shots.



GFG: From where do you draw your inspiration? 

EY: I really love different materials and usually that's where an idea starts. Simple shapes and a mix of materials. I do a lot of brainstorming and problem solving on the Q train during my morning commute with headphones. 

GFG: Describe your design process. 

EY: I have a sketchbook that I use to quickly get ideas out. It's not the most beautiful thing, but it makes sense to me. I am an impatient sketcher though, so I usually jump to making a prototype right away, which can be a great and rewarding thing or it can be incredibly frustrating. That being said, I think the best way to learn is by trying something. Every time I make or remake an item it's a little bit different, a little bit improved. Nothing is ever done. 

GFG: What do you see as the future of Thread and Paper? 

EY: I have no idea. There are a number of things that I think would be fun to do or try but I am pretty much open to wherever this venture takes me. While it is not the most relaxing thing to have a full time job and then Thread & Paper on top of that, there is also a creative freedom that comes with a steady paycheck. I can do what I want and make what I want and see how it goes. 








No comments:

Post a Comment